Understanding the Sales Process That Begins With Dental Implant Marketing
Dental implant marketing is only the first step of a journey – the journey that ends with a successful sale of dental implant treatment to a customer in dire need of this treatment. Along the way, every step of this process is important.
And it IS a process! Success in selling dental implants is contingent on every part carrying its weight and contributing to a successful closing.
If your dental implant marketing is performing as it should, the next step after engagement with your marketing is a visit to your dental office.
Several of our recent blogs discussed this step.
We provided analysis of everything from staff interactions and dress to office décor and music – all elements capable of producing vibes that can strongly influence the sales process trajectory and the ROI of your investment in dental implant marketing.
Read more here:
Although the ambiance and vibes experienced by patients in your office are important, the Discovery phase is the next important step.
Today we’re going to delve into why the Discovery phase is so important, explain how to strengthen this one-on-one time with the prospective patient, and give you 9 ways to maximize this portion of the sales process for dental implants.
What is the Discovery Phase and Why Is It So Important?
What is it? As you know, the Discovery phase of the patient’s dental visit is the one-on-one consultation that the patient holds with the dentist. It is a time for learning more about the patient and their situation before implant treatment is prescribed and agreed upon.
During the discovery phase, the dentist learns more about the patient’s motivations for seeking treatment and assesses the patient’s suitability for implant placement.
The bottom line?
The Discovery phase is about getting the patient to verbalize some things that you – and he or she – already know. The important thing is that the patient hears himself or herself SAY them for the best chance that he or she will move forward with treatment!
Thinking through the details of the Discovery phase is important because putting careful thought into your processes has the potential to catapult you into the top 2% of dental practices easily!
That’s because so few dentists take the time to analyze their processes as they should.
Putting thought into the Discovery phase is also important because it can form part of your BRAND, or the image of your practice that patients remember and carry with them.
General Principles and Questions for the Discovery Process
There are several important general principles that should govern the Discovery phase of the dental implant sales process as you seek to make it part of your brand.
Here are 3 of the main ones with several subpoints to help flesh them out.
A. Get the patients to talk about themselves – As we said, you need to get the patients to verbalize the things that you and they already know. These things should not be assumed because the patient needs to hear himself or herself SAY them!
- What made you interested in getting your smile fixed?
- How would your life change if we were able to help you smile again?
- How would it affect you if we couldn’t help you today?
- Ask follow-up questions and dig below the surface. You just met the patient, however, so don’t expect they will bare their soul on the first question.
- If the patient says they want their smile to look good again, ask them what their current smile has kept them from doing. Then ask how that has affected them emotionally. If they say they want to eat the foods they like again, ask them what they miss the most and how that’s been affecting their health, etc.
- It should not be uncommon for patients to get emotional during this part of the Discovery phase.
B. The point of Discovery is to help the patient fully consider the cost of inaction and the reward from action on an emotional level.
C. Try to counterbalance the weight of the financial side by helping patients remember the weight of their life without this treatment
1. Help them truly weigh the cost of BOTH possibilities.
2. Remember Thoreau saying – “The cost of something is the amount of life we give up for it.” Turn the saying around – “The amount of life we give up for something is the cost of it.”
3. Help them think about the amount of life they are giving up by NOT paying the cost of implants!
The incredible amount of LIFE that dental implants can give a person is what you want to emphasize!
Specific Ways to Maximize the Discovery Process
Improving the Discovery process for dental implants will significantly increase the ROI of your dental implant marketing. Here are 7 ways to achieve that and help to build your brand:
- Technical Training for Staff: Make sure your staff is well-versed in the technical aspects of dental implants, including the latest advancements and common patient concerns. This will allow them to give relevant answers and, more importantly, appear confident as they interact with patient questions.
- Empathy Training for Staff: Probably almost more important than their technical knowledge is your staff’s knowledge of human nature and the principles of behavior. Teaching your staff a thorough understanding of what makes people tick will do more for your ROI than almost anything else.
- Active Listening: Although this should be part of the empathy training for your staff, active listening is such a difficult skill for many people that it deserves special mention. Active listening involves avoiding all distractions, listening without interrupting, and paraphrasing and summarizing patient statements.
- Educational Materials for Clients: Although it should be subordinate to the emotional connection, develop and provide informative materials such as brochures, videos, or interactive presentations that explain the benefits, types, and overall process of dental implants. This can help clients better understand the value of the dental implant treatment.
- Personalized Focus: As you learn more about their reasons for seeking treatment, use that knowledge to tailor the consultation completely to them. Nothing but a focus on their specific concerns and plans will convince them that you can meet their PERSONAL needs.
- Utilize Digital Imaging Technology: Incorporating advanced imaging technology to visually showcase potential outcomes should not be the total of the picturing of their future life but it can enhance your conversation. Use it to your advantage!
- Ask the Right Questions: Use the questions listed in the first point of the General Principles section.
Remember, a well-informed and completely empathetic Discovery phase can contribute significantly to the success of dental implant sales and a positive ROI on your dental implant marketing dollars and help to build the image of your practice as a caring, life-enhancing place!
Although the most important ways to increase effectiveness are a focus on the patient and empathy for their situation, 2 additional areas can be considered as you seek to improve the effectiveness of the Discovery phase of your dental implant sales process.
- Incorporate Testimonials and Case Studies: Although you want the focus to be on the prospective patient in front of you, sharing snippets of success stories through testimonials and case studies can instill confidence in potential clients during the discovery phase.
- Continual Market Research: Seek to stay current with industry trends, competitor offerings, and client feedback. This will help you to place your patients and their expectations within a broader framework even though, again, you must focus intently on them as a person.
Wrapping It Up
Remember this: The point of the Discovery phase is less about what you learn (though it is helpful for the presentation) and more about helping the patient fully consider the cost of inaction and the rewards from action on an emotional level.
Make the Discovery process a part of your BRAND and you will easily catapult yourself past your competition!
Dental Implant Growth Partner
Would you like a partner with extensive experience in increasing the ROI of dental implant marketing dental offices?
Consider reaching out to Client Connection Group. Our innovative dental implant marketing and follow-up will revolutionize the sales process for dental implants for your office!
Just ask our satisfied dentist customers from coast to coast!